All Out Inspired
Get the latest on events, ideas and ways to go all out in Columbus, Georgia!
December 2, 2010
Holiday Fun Galore in Columbus, GA!
If all the activities coming up this weekend don't get you in the holiday spirit, then it just isn't going to happen this year! There's going to be music, reindeer, snow and even a Tacky Christmas Sweater Contest! Here's a quick look at just a few of the things going on and remember, you can always check out the Community Calendar to find out more details on these and other events.
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow! Friday night (Dec. 3), Uptown Columbus will be transformed into a winter wonderland as the 4th Annual Broadway Holiday takes place in the 1100 block of Broadway. Santa and his entourage will start making their way down Broadway about 6:20pm and at 6:30pm, Santa and the mayor will light up the 40 ft tall Christmas tree. After that, there will be the sweet sounds of several local school choirs and bands as they serenade us with carols. Of course Santa will be in the gazebo for all the young children to have a chance to sit on his lap and tell him their Christmas wishes. Santa is even bringing a couple of his reindeer all the way from the North Pole to enjoy the festivities as well. And here's something new this year and it should be a hoot! We’re inviting everyone to wear their tackiest Christmas sweater for the A Tuna Christmas Tacky Sweater Contest, where the winners will get great Springer Opera House prize packs. This a great way to get your family in the Christmas spirit and will probably be the closest thing we’ll get to a white Christmas in Columbus, GA. Admission is absolutely free.
Because there is so much going on, here's a a really fast look at some of the other stuff going on:
- Holiday Lobby Concert at RiverCenter for the Performing Arts : The CSU Trombone Choir and Horn Choir will perform in the grand lobby for an informal presentation of holiday music on Friday, December 3 at 12:30 PM. The 2nd grade class of St. Luke will join them. FREE! 706.256.3612
- Christmas with The King’s Singers and the Columbus Symphony Orchestra : The King’s Singers, a 2009 Grammy Award winner, will perform with the CSO at RiverCenter on Friday, December 3 at 7:30 PM. Tickets are $29 - $39. 706.256.3612
- Victorian Holiday Open House at the National Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus : Saturday & Sunday, December 4 & 5. Regular museum hours. Santa will return in his Civil War – era attire. The entire museum will be decorated and you can have your picture made with Santa. FREE! 706.327.9798
- Holiday Open House and Pottery Sale at Britt David Studio: It’s time once again for this annual sale on Saturday & Sunday, December 4 & 5. Over 50 artists works to see and purchase. Free admission. 706.653.4196
- 100 Under $100 Show and Sale at the Joseph House Art Gallery : On Sunday, December 5, you have the opportunity to buy art done by local celebrities from 1-5 PM. Proceeds fund a CSU art scholarship.
- Messiah at Legacy Hall in RiverCenter for the Performing Arts : The CSU Choral Union and members of the CSU Philharmonic present the Christmas portion of Handel’s Messiah on Sunday, December 5 at 4 PM. Admission is $5. Call 706.256.3612 for more information.
- Maneuver Center of Excellence Band at RiverCenter in Bill Heard Theatre: The US Army Maneuver Center of Excellence Band returns to RiverCenter on Sunday, December 5 at 7 PM for their annual Holiday Concert. This event is free but you must have a ticket to attend. Call 706.256.3612 for ticket info.
And believe me when I tell you this is just the tip of the iceberg! Make sure you visit the Community Calendar so you can see all that's going on and you can make a plan for the weekend.
Now, go have some holiday fun!