MENU

The Columbus Museum Launches Fund for African American Art and the Alma Thomas Society

Aug 22, 2017

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 22, 2017                 

Media Contact:

Mercedes Parham

Marketing and Media Manager

The Columbus Museum

706.748.2562 ext. 540

mparham@columbusmuseum.com

 

 

 

The Columbus Museum Launches Fund for African American Art and the Alma Thomas Society

 

COLUMBUS, GA--8.22.2017- The Columbus Museum established The Fund for African American Art in 2014. The Fund empowers the Museum to acquire representative works of art by emerging and established African American makers. In addition to the Fund, a collector’s group and slate of programming have been developed to encourage participation from the wider community of the Chattahoochee Valley.

 

The Alma Thomas Society, a dues-paying collecting group, was founded in 2017 to support continued growth for The Fund for African American Art. Members will be directly involved with purchasing works through the Acquisition Annual, an event where members will vote on a selection of potential Museum purchases. Membership is $500 annually in addition to any level of membership at The Columbus Museum. 80 percent of the dues go directly to The Fund and the other 20 percent supports programming for the Society.

 

“We are committed to continu­ing to build the Columbus Museum’s fine collection,” said Alma Thomas Soci­ety Founding Members Dan and Kath­elen Amos, who provided the initial seed money for The Fund. “The first acquisi­tions made from this fund are exciting ad­ditions. The broadening and deepening of our collection in the area of work by Afri­can American artists through the support of the members of the Alma Thomas So­ciety is good for our museum, our audi­ences, and our community. We want vis­itors to The Columbus Museum, as they have for over 60 years, to be inspired by what they see there, and for young visitors to have the opportunity to see works from artists of a wide range of backgrounds and ethnicities and who work in a variety of mediums.”

 

The first three acquisitions from The Fund include Amy Sherald’s What’s different about Alice is that she has the most incisive way of telling the truth, 2017; Reginald Gammon’s Mothers, 1970; and Beverly Buchanan’s Sculpture House, 2011. 

 

The inaugural event for the Alma Thomas Society will be held Tuesday, September 19, 5:30-7:30 p.m. featuring Columbus native Amy Sherald. This event will be free and open to the public. The program will begin with a lecture and conclude with a reception and book signing with Sherald. Sherald is a well-known artist and the winner of the National Portrait Gallery’s 2016 Outwin-Boochever Portrait Competition—for which there were more than 2,500 entries.  More information about this program is forthcoming.

 

The mission of The Columbus Museum is to bring American art and history to life for the communities of the Chattahoochee Valley. For more information about The Fund for African American Art, the Alma Thomas Society or related events, visit The Columbus Museum at www.columbusmuseum.com.

###